Today, we’re moving into the final episode of our free mixing Pop/Rock series:
Mastering A Pop/Rock Song.
My good friend, mastering engineer and online mentor Ian Shepherd from productionadvice.com teaches you how to give your mix the final polish and make it sound great throughout all popular platforms: Itunes, Youtube and the Radio.
The best part? Ian shows you how to master this song using plugins only, so you can achieve the same results in your home studio!
Topics covered in this tutorial:
- Plugin choices
- How to prevent Inter-Sample-Clipping to avoid distortion when converting your master to mp3.
- EQ/ Mid-side EQ to shape the tone of individual instruments on a stereo file.
- Compression & Multiband Compression to achieve a tight and powerful low end.
- Order of mastering stages (Using EQ and Compression in conjunction to achieve the desired result)
- How to achieve maximum results with minimal processing
- Ideal loudness to strive for when mastering for Itunes and Youtube
- Level Automation to increase the impact of your choruses.
I hope this tutorial helps you take your mastering skills to the next level. Please leave a bunch of comments and questions below. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us Ian!
Learn how to get competitive masters from your home studio!
Ian currently teaches an in-depth masterclass on mastering music in your home studio:
In this masterclass you will learn all the concepts and techniques you need how to transform your mixes into polished & powerful sounding masters that translate well across all playback systems and are ready to be played on the radio or become a hit on Youtube.
This whole masterclass is especially designed for home studio owners and will teach you how to get the results you’re looking for using the equipment and plugins you already own: “It isn’t about what you use, is how you use it!”
Check out Ian’s Home Studio Mastering Masterclass here.
Have a marvellous time recording and mixing,