Hi Friends, I hope you’re marvellously well! The PLAP team and I had a great time at NAMM recently and I wanted to share our experience with you: We’ve checked out plenty of gear and interviewed several manufacturers for you. The insights they shared with us were highly interesting and educational.
In the first part of our NAMM tour I’m interviewing:
- Barefoot Sound: Barefoot speakers have become increasingly popular with top producers and mixers over the last couple of years.
Thomas Barefoot tells us about the process of developing the Barefoot MicroMain 27s and explains the physical concept behind the design. He also shares interesting insights into various speaker types and points out their advantages and disadvantages.
- Mesanovic Microphones: Mesanovic produces highly innovative ribbon microphones with a beautiful extended top end response. I recently did a ribbon mic shootout and was really impressed with Mesanovic’s take on ribbons.
Deni Mesanovic shares his thought process in designing microphones and explains how the was able to achieve the smooth sounding extended top end.
- Cloud Microphones: Cloud Microphones design modern ribbon microphones, which are based on the classic RCA ribbons of the 30s and 40s, working with one of the original developers of RCA, John R. Sank.
Rodger Cloud shows off their active and passive lines and explains the features of each mic.
- Soyuz Microphones: Soyuz stands for handcrafted microphones, built only using tools which were available during the vintage era: “Modern Vintage Mics”.
As expected, their microphones have tons of character and can be the perfect solution in the right recording situation.
- PMC Loudspeakers: I recently did a studio monitor comparison at Vintage King and one of the monitors that stood out was the PCM. Maurice Patiste explains the twotwo.6 monitor design and talks about several features they’ve implemented to make your life and an engineer or mixer easier: The twotwo.6 has a low end response of down to 37 Hz and a very wide sweetspot, which is extremely important when mixing on consoles or moving around tweaking outboard gear.
I hope you enjoyed these interviews! We’re currently running multiple giveaways from NAMM, so please check them out and enter to win these incredible prizes:
- Acme Audio Motown D.I. ($450 Value)
- Genelec 8030 Red Studio Monitors (Limited Edition)
- Rupert Neve D.I.
Have a marvellous time recording and mixing,