FAQ Friday is our weekly episode where I answer your most frequently asked questions! How do you get your question answered? Leave thought provoking, conversation starting questions or comments on the videos! If you’ve been wondering about something, ask away!
How do you earn royalties from music as a producer these days? How do you earn royalties the world of streaming?
What a great question. With the ever changing music industry, the way we get paid as producers is forever changing.
When I work with independent artists we workout a payment system. They will give me a percentage; it varies from one artist to another. Once they’ve been paid back the investment they’ve done, I will get a percentage. That is typical. That is very similar to what a record company used to do and I do it all the time. I highly recommend it when working with independent artists.
At the moment I’m working with independent artists under that structure and major label artists under a more traditional base.
There are no rules anymore. You negotiate your terms up front.
If you have a long term relationship with that artist, you’re going to be safe! They’re going to show you the royalty splits, and they’re going to pay you. It might be pennies on the dollar, but it adds up! If you’ve got multiple income sources and multiple albums out there, eventually you’ll start building an income.
It’s not going to happen over night, even with the most successful artists. It’s about a career. It’s not a sprint, it’s a marathon. You’re building a business; you’re building a career. Invest in yourself and it will come.
During this episode of FAQ Friday I answer the following questions:
• What is the cost to attend a masterclass like the one you did at Blackbird Studios? Is this a private event? 0:39
• When do you mix on your Genelec’s vs small computer monitors? 03:35
• How do you earn royalties from music as a producer these days? How do you earn royalties the world of streaming? 05:48
• Would you venture to side with the opinion that maybe one doesn’t have to have the best ears to eq properly now that we have all this modern technology? 07:17
• Any tips on making mixes sound good on tiny horrible cell phone speakers? 12:51