Hi Friends, I hope you’re doing marvellously well!
In today’s tutorial I’m showing our Recording Connection apprentice Natalie (and you!) some advanced techniques for using compression to increase the energy of your songs and make your instruments work well together in the mix.
Topics discussed in this tutorial:
- Using multi-stage compression to maintain a natural sound
- Setting the right attack and release times
- Using compression to add excitement to acoustic guitars
- Compressing overheads to make them sound like room mics (if no rooms were recorded)
- Remove drum bleed and clean up your drum sound by using sidechain compression
- Using compression to improve interaction between instruments and make them work well together in the mix.
- Make your kick and bass sit nicely together for a powerful and punchy low end.
Watch more compression tutorials:
Want to take your recordings and mixes to the next level?
Check out Produce Like A Pro Academy for in-depth tutorials, multitracks, mix feedback and more:
I hope you enjoyed this tutorial. Please leave any questions and comments you may have below. As ever, thank you so much for your wonderful support, comments and feedback!
Have a marvellous time recording and mixing,