FAQ Friday is our weekly roundup of YOUR questions! If you have any questions you’d like to ask, simply leave them in the comments below (or on YouTube), and I’ll do my best to answer them!
Here’s a marvellous question!
Thoughts on USB vs analog microphones?
I imagine the question is “can I make a record and make good recordings without spending a fortune on an interface and a microphone?”
Yes you can. USB microphones are a quick, easy, and inexpensive solution. It means not having to get an interface and just plugging a mic straight into a computer, and if that’s what’s going to get you to start making music, then do it.
Do I think an interface with a really nice mic pre, like an Audient ID 14, with a mic plugged into it is going to get you a better sound? Of course I do! But that’s a $200 – $300 commitment in addition to a microphone which can be anywhere from $60 to $300+.
With a mic and mic pre, you’re basically talking a $200 to $500 commitment as opposed to a USB mic, which I’ve seen for significantly less than a hundred dollars which, you can plug straight into your laptop or your tower.
If you’re going to put a USB microphone in front of a Marshall stack going at full-blown 100 watts with the whole thing cranked, it’s probably not going to be a great solution.
However, if you’re singing vocals on a USB mic you can get amazing results; just make sure you’re using a pop screen and that you pull back enough. Also, don’t think about singing death metal right into it! It’s more about logically thinking, some of the cheaper things don’t have quite the tolerances to sound pressure levels.
Otherwise go use it, if that’s what’s going to get you to start making music please use a USB microphone.
During this episode of FAQ Friday I answer the following questions:
• I’m using a super-cardioid Scheps miic for my acoustic. What’s your opinion on super-cardiods for this job? Should I. Not use it and why?
• Is a Shure SM58 be a complete no no on acoustics?
• When would you use the roll off on the mic as opposed to doing it in the DAW?
• What kind of mic set up would you suggest for recording Brass instruments?
• Do you have an opinion of USB vs Analog microphones?
• How do they do the recordings of an orchestra at the studio in terms of channels and mics?
• I noticed you use the Audient preamps a lot. What about your 1173?
• Is there any advantage to using plugins in the studio interface during tracking vs using plugins in the DAW?